Most fantastic results beginners, for example, drove moonshine 98 degrees, or actively wandering and played Braga 0% alcohol, due to incorrect use of measuring devices. If you omit the hydrometer in the liquid, not containing alcohol, the device will still show a certain significance, because it gives the result based on density. I’ll tell you how to use the alcoholometer to always get the correct values. Despite the apparent primitiveness and the simplicity of the design nuances in the work of many.
The alcoholometer is a type of hydrometer (the device that measures density of liquids), designed to determine the amount of ethanol in a solution consisting of alcohol and water without other impurities that can affect the density.
Most of the models manufactured in the form of a glass float, a wide lower part of which is filled with cargo from shot and filled with resin (some models use mercury), and the upper narrow part of the paper contains the graduated scale.
Types of spirometra
Laboratory – professional hydrometer for determining the strength of solution with a high degree of accuracy. In Russia the most popular spirometrie of this type, corresponding to GOST 18481-81 are sets of ASP-1 (11 pieces in set) ASP-2 (18 pieces), ASP-3 (3 pieces) with different gradation.
Most experienced moonshiners uses a set of ASP-3, with a scale interval of 1%. The set consists of three hydrometers: 0-40%, 40-70% and 70-100%. For homemade alcohol that is enough. At ASP-1 and ASP-2 gradation of 0.1%.
The set of ASP-3
Household – alcoholometer for measuring the strength of the alcohol, vodka or moonshine in the home. Usually consists of one device operating in the range 0-96%. From laboratory analogues is less accuracy. With all the conditions of the measurement accuracy is up to 0.5%. Perfect for beginners moonshiners.
Household alcoholometer, the most affordable
Digital (electronic) – working on a different algorithm than the traditional hydrometers. Features high accuracy and fast response of the sensor. Additionally, most devices equipped with a thermometer. Drawback – high price.
Optical – used to determine ethanol concentration in the multicomponent solution (water, ethanol and other additives). Suitable for wines and liquors. Works on special algorithm, but in a more narrow range (usually from 0 to 25 or 40 degrees).
To measure simply place one drop of material onto a special prism, then have a look through the eyepiece. Optical hydrometers are expensive, but additionally show the concentration of sugar in the liquid.
Optical hydrometer suitable for different mixes strength up to 40%
Rumochnaia – compact alcoholometer for determination of the fortress in a small vessel, for example, glass. Most designs have a scale 0-96%. The error depends on the model, but often less accurate than even the appliances hydrometers.
Rumochnaia alcoholometer is a small, but not very accurate
Venomer – a kind of alcoholometer for determination of strength and sugar content in the wines. Used by wine-lovers. Most devices measure the sugar content of the beverage in the range of 0-25%, alcohol – 0-12%. Due to the small scale vinagery not be used by bootleggers.
Wiemer — instrument for measuring fortress wine and liquors
The initial conditions of measurement
1. The alcoholometer should be stored in their original packaging, without shaking and other mechanical influences that can compromise the integrity and accuracy. Glass models are extremely fragile and break easily. If cracks, scratches or other defects the device is damaged and requires replacement.
2. Most of spirometers calibrated to work in the solution whose temperature is 20°C (the deviation is not more than 0.5 of a degree). At higher temperatures the hydrometer overstates the fortress, at low low. Non-observance of temperature regime causes a measurement error to 7%. The density of the liquid also depends on the atmospheric pressure, the recommended rate is 760 mm Hg. article
3. All spirometry (except optical, electronic and venomer) is designed to work with liquids containing only ethyl alcohol and water. Any other impurity (sugar, juice, tannin, after insisting in a barrel of salt of heavy metals in the water and even fusel oil has a bad taste of moonshine) change the density of the solution, leading to inaccurate measurements.
How to measure the fortress spirtometrom
1. Dilute the alcohol with water, wait 5-10 minutes while the intensity of chemical reactions will decrease (at this time generates a lot of heat).
2. Wipe the hydrometer dry, clean cloth to avoid oily or dirty spots. Before immersion in the liquid, the appliance must be completely dry.
3. Allow the solution temperature to recommended – 20°C.
An approximate correction of the indications of the alcoholometer, depending on the temperature of the alcohol indicated in the table, a calculation can be done on the calculator.
Enter left initial data
Minimum alcohol content: % (vol.)
4. Pour the alcohol-containing liquid in a tall, narrow receptacle small volume (a measuring flask, or cylinder glass).
A volumetric flask
5. Gently submerge the alcoholometer, the wide bottom portion of the liquid in the middle vessel. If you throw very rapidly, the device can hit the bottom and break.
The hydrometer must not touch the walls of the vessel!
6. Wait until the alcoholometer stabiliziruemost on the same level. If drowned, then, are faulty or are not designed for this fortress. For example, the device operates in the range of 0-40%, but lower in alcohol 70%.
7. To see the result. Depending on the design of the alcoholometer readings from the top edge of the meniscus (red arrow) or lower (green arrow). This point is necessarily specified in the instructions.
The upper and lower menisci
In most of the models take readings from the bottom of the meniscus.
First eye is better positioned below the liquid level to be clearly visible elliptical base of the meniscus. Then slowly raise the head, watching as tapering, the ellipse becomes a straight line at this moment to see the result.
8. To get the alcoholometer of volumetric flasks, wipe, put in the original storage case.