Among professional winemakers and experienced fans of this method of removal of carbon dioxide and limits the flow of oxygen is considered to be primitive, but like the newcomers by the ease of implementation. Rubber medical glove instead of a water lock works better than other methods and is suitable not only for wine, but any of Braga, therefore, has a right to exist, especially for small batches of wort.
Theory. During fermentation the yeast convert the sugar or fructose to carbon dioxide and ethyl alcohol. To prevent excessive pressure in the tank, which can lead to explosion, need carbon dioxide output. However, this is not to prevent prolonged contact of wine with oxygen and the environment, otherwise there will be contamination of third-party microorganisms (e.g., mold) or the wine will turn sour – when the access of air aktiviziruyutsya bacteria that transform the alcohol into acid.
At the same time remove carbon dioxide and prevent the ingress of air into the can special device – the water trap. There are different designs of water valves, both factory and homemade, but in the home along with the classic (the tube from the fermentation tank, lowered into a jar of water) is applied to conventional medical glove.
The benefits of installing gloves on a jar of wine:
- accessibility and ease – gloves are sold in any pharmacy, and to construct a structure can even women who do not require anything of soldering, drilling and gluing;
- reliability – in glove works better than other water control gates;
- when correctly installed, is an indicator of fermentation, the glove is inflated, it means that the wine is actively haunting, down – the process finished or something wrong.
- low reliability – the glove flies off and breaks often, especially on large tanks;
- not suitable for narrow neck bottles is to secure the glove at the narrow neck is very difficult;
- the unpleasant smell because the carbon dioxide is excreted not into the water, and the environment, with weak ventilation in the room can be a specific smell of fermentation.
The procedure for installing gloves on wine
1. To prepare a clean medical glove: inspect the “rubber” or “medicinal” odor and integrity of the material.
Attention! Suitable only medical glove, shopping is usually an unpleasant smell like rubber, the smell of guilt is passed and it cannot be eliminated.
2. Subtle sewing or a needle from a syringe to make 1 to 5 punctures in the extreme phalanges gloves. The number of holes depends on the volume of wort: 1-2 liters – 1 puncture, 3-25 litres 1-2 puncture, more than 25 liters – 3-5 holes.
3. Wear a glove on the neck of the fermentation vessel. For secure fixing to tie up the neck with the glove with a rubber band, a thick thread or rewinding a wide tape (for optimal sealing). To transfer the wine into suitable fermentation conditions.
Important securely fasten the glove on the neck and completely fill the container, leaving room for foam
4. After 4-12 hours after installation, the glove must at least slightly inflated, it means that the fermentation goes well and the design is airtight.
The reasons why the glove on the fault is not inflated, is described in a separate article https://alcofan.com/chto-delat-esli-domashnee-vino-perestalo-brodit-ne-zabrodilo-vovse.html.
5. At least once a day to check, not torn and will not come loose if the glove. In case you need to replace or re-attach old.
6. When the glove deflate (fermentation is over), remove the wine from the sediment.
Pressurized glove — the wine ferments, is lowered the process is over
Questions and problems
Do I need to puncture a hole in the glove
Depends on the tank volume. In a liter of fermenting wort carbon dioxide stand out a little, and 3 or more liters is quite a lot. Securely fasten the glove on capacity 20-25 litres more problematic.
If the wort is less than 2 liters, it is possible not to puncture a hole or be limited to one puncture. If the volume 3-25 litres minimum 1-2 puncture is mandatory, otherwise the glove will fly off or explode. If more than 25 litres of wort, do 3-5 punctures and at least once a day to verify the integrity of the gloves.
You will not get the air through the holes
During fermentation, the pressure inside the tank above atmospheric, the result is carbon dioxide pushes the air inside, preventing contact with the wort. After fermentation, the glove material is almost completely close the hole (if the puncture made by the needle). The number of infiltrate of oxygen will be minimal and will not affect the fault.
What to do if the glove greatly inflated
To remove the glove (the active fermentation, so even being a few minutes open, the wine will not be affected), make a few punctures and re-establish capacity, germetizirujut connection.
In a highly inflated glove need more holes, but before you puncture the glove must be removed, otherwise it will burst
Why the glove is pulled inside
This situation occurs due to the difference of pressure inside the vessel and the environment. Possible causes differential pressure:
- the design is not sealed and inside gets too much air – securing the glove;
- sudden changes in temperature, for example, day and night, move the container in a room with a stable temperature;
- the wine ferments – find and fix the problem preventing fermentation;
- disease wine – retracted glove can testify to the revitalization of mold or other pathogens that require treatment wort;
- fermentation has ended – need to drain the wine from the sediment.
Retracted inside the glove almost always indicates a problem with wine, we can’t wait!
What to do if the glove on the wine burst or came off
Replace with a new one. This usually occurs on the active fermentation due to excess pressure, so if the wine was open (without gloves) for less than a day – nothing terrible, as the released carbon dioxide will not allow oxygen to come in contact with the wort, just follow the recipe.
That is why it is so important to periodically monitor the integrity of the gloves.