The serpentine is a mandatory part of a moonshine still that is intended for condensation of alcohol vapor due to heat dissipation by water or air through the walls. Despite the complex definition, anyone can make a coil in the home. A homemade version will work better than store-bought counterparts. We will consider the theory and practice of manufacturing.
Parameters of the coil:
1. Material. The most important factor affecting the safety and taste of the brew. The coil material must not react with alcohol or to be toxic, but to have a sufficient conductivity for condensation of alcohol vapors.
Given the requirements, you can make a coil from copper, aluminum or stainless steel. Suitable material is also glass, though, it is easier to buy ready-made glass coil in the store of chemicals, than to produce something similar.
The best conductivity of copper, but many bootleggers think it is a toxic material, in fact it is not. For example, for several centuries all the spirits distilled in the French alambikah – special copper stills, and yet no one was poisoned. In second place on the thermal conductivity of aluminium (copper is worse than 1.6 times), but it is relatively cheap, available and easy to handle. Coils of stainless steel are inferior to copper in 3-4 times, does not always know the exact grade of stainless steel and suitable for brewing only food that can withstand high temperatures and not react with alcohol.
Copper coils are the most efficient
2. Dimensions. The longer the tube, the greater the area of contact of the vapors with water (better cooling), but this increases hydraulic resistance (reduced speed of a stage). The correct length of the coil in the moonshine (the tube to the Curling) – 1.5-2 meters.
The larger section (inner diameter) of the tube, the greater the contact area and lower resistance. I recommend to use the tube inside diameter of 8-12 mm.
The small wall thickness of the coil increases the thermal conductivity, improving the condensation, but too thin tube is difficult to process and operation, because it is very fragile. Besides, the contact between the two environments, in our case, the condensed alcohol vapor, the conductivity drops sharply regardless of the size and material of the wall. The optimum thickness of the tube serpentine – 0.9-1.1 mm.
3. The orientation in space. The coil can be positioned vertically, horizontally or inclined. In distilling, it is desirable to use the vertical connection scheme, in which the condensed distillate flows by gravity and does not create additional barriers to the movement of steam.
Vertical coils are rising (steam coming up from the bottom) and descending (top to bottom). For minimum resistance necessary to discharge steam at the top.
4. Cooling system. The coils are cooled by water, ice and air. The last two options are less effective and require complex structures, so then they will not be considered. Water cooling systems are open – work for running water, and closed – reservoir directly filled with the desired amount of water. Design of closed systems is easier, but cool worse, they often output the moonshine turns warm, and in a few hours distillation even hot.
In open systems the water circulation is much better cools the coil, the brew is cold. Besides, in flowing designs uses a smaller tank the water tank, whereby the machine turns leaner.
Right to pump water from the bottom and output on top. For normal cooling water should move towards moonshine, otherwise the lower part of the coil will not cool. This scheme is called “counter mode”.
The technology of manufacturing the coil
Need copper, aluminum, brass or stainless steel tube with a length of 1.5-2 m, cross section 8-12 mm and a wall thickness of 0.9-1.1 mm. in Advance I advise you to find housing (reservoir) to install the coil. From the size of the case depends on the diameter of the winding tube. For example, suitable plastic sewage pipe with a diameter of 75-80 mm. For effective cooling of the coil should occupy at least 15-20% of the tank volume.
Mounted in the housing of the coil called fridge moonshine, the drawing shown in the photo.
1. Tightly fill the tube with dry granular material, for example, river sand or soda, the metal is not flattened out when scrolling. In a pinch, you can fill the tube with water and freeze.
2. On the ends of the tube to fill chopiki wooden (pegs). An alternative is to solder or tightly clamp. On one end it is desirable to weld the nut.
3. To wind up on any smooth object with a smooth round cross section of the desired diameter (for example 35 mm) with a pitch between coils of 12 mm.
4. To release the ends of the coil, to release the sand, rinsed with running water.
5. Set on the cooler casing pipes for supplying and discharging water.
6. Place the coil into the housing, top and bottom install the plugs, sealing all joints with superglue or other means.
Finished metal refrigerator
At a heating power of 2.5-3 kW capacity of the proposed design refrigerator is 3-4 liters per hour.