Cooking sugar moonshine can be called classics of Russian brewing. For love and popularity among the Russians is alcohol is the undisputed leader. There are many recipes mash of sugar and distillation methods, but not all methods give good results. To get the gift of not wasting precious raw materials, I’ll tell you how to brew moonshine at home. Subject to technology the drink will turn out better than most store-bought vodka. We consider in detail all the nuances of the process.
At first, I advise to take care of the cleanliness of the containers used. Containers must be washed with hot water and wipe dry with a clean cloth. The cleaner bottles and pots, the higher the quality. Many novice bootleggers make the mistake of ignoring the sterility, and then complain about third-party odor or taste.
As an example, the exact amount of ingredients you need to prepare a little more than 5 litres of moonshine forty by classical technology:
- sugar – 6 kg;
- water is 24 liters;
- dry yeast – 120 grams (600 grams or extruded);
- citric acid – 25 grams.
Recipe mash of sugar
1. The calculation of proportions. First, determine the amount of moonshine that is needed on the output. At home from 1 kg of sugar is obtained 1.1 to 1.2 liters of brew a fortress of 40 degrees. But calculations suggest to increase the amount of ingredients by 10-15%, as for various reasons (temperature, raw material quality, improper distillation), the real output is always less than the theoretical on this value.
1 kg of sugar add: 4 quarts of water (plus another 0.5 liter if it is inverting) and 100 grams of compressed yeast or 20 grams dry.
2. Invert sugar. Under a very complicated name refers to the conventional preparation of sugar syrup with citric acid. The fact that during fermentation, the yeast to first break down sugars to simple monosaccharides – glucose with fructose, and then convert these ingredients into alcohol. Heat also kills pathogenic microorganisms on the surface of sugar that are waiting for more favourable conditions for reproduction (temperature and humidity). Activation of harmful microbes in Braga undesirable, because it can negatively affect the smell.
Brew of inverted sugar ferments faster and taste better. Although phase inversion is optional, and in most recipes is only to dissolve the sugar in warm water, suggest to still boil the syrup.
To invert sugar for the mash, do the following:
- Heat 3 quarts of water to a temperature of 70-80°C in a large saucepan.
- Add sugar (6 kg) and slowly stirred until a homogeneous mass.
- Bring the syrup to a boil, boil for 10 minutes, removing the foam from the surface.
- Very slowly (it will appear a lot of foam) pour citric acid (25 grams), reduce the heat on the stove to a minimum.
- Close the pan with a lid and boil for 60 minutes.
The finished syrup
3. The preparation of water. A very important step, which largely formed the taste of the finished product. Water for the mash should correspond to hygiene standards, not to have no color, no taste, no smell.
Before cooking the sugar of the brew, I recommend 1-2 days to defend the tap water. This reduces the stiffness and contaminants to settle to the bottom. After settling, drain the water from the sludge through a thin tube.
Attention! The water for the brew you can’t boil or distill, as it will lead to the loss of oxygen, the yeast need for fermentation.
4. Blending of ingredients. The syrup made at the 2nd stage, pour into a fermenting tank, add cold water (24 liters). If you use inverted sugar, dissolve it in warm water, while mixing intensively. In both cases, the optimal final temperature of the mixture is 27-30°C.
Capacity cannot be filled more than ¾ of the volume, or during active foaming mash may overflow and have to collect the product with a specific smell on the floor.
5. The introduction of yeast. Compressed yeast can be added directly into the tank, pre-crushing with clean hands. But it is better first to dissolve the briquette in a small amount of cooked wort (water and sugar), cover and wait until the foam. Usually just takes 5-10 minutes.
Before the introduction of the wort the yeast will need prior activation. It is enough to strictly follow the instructions on the bag. In most cases, boiled water cooled to 32-36°C, pour the right amount of dry yeast, cover, and the very capacity wrap a thick cloth or put in a warm place to maintain a stable temperature. After 20-40 minutes on the surface appear uniform froth. This means that divorced dry yeast can be added to the wort.
When you use baking yeast sometimes begins active foam that goes beyond capacity. As a defoaming agent for Braga’s highly recommended to use crushed half of the dry store-bought cookies or 10-20 ml of vegetable oil. Adding these foods will not affect the quality of the brew.
The video shows the method of placing the mash without invert sugar with the water duty 1:4.
6. Fermentation. On a bottle of home brew to install the water trap and to move into the room with a stable temperature of 26-31°C (very important for the normal development of the yeast). Braga on the inverted sugar has a pleasant caramel smell, which does not spoil the air.
To maintain the temperature capacity cover with blankets or coats to warm the building thermal insulation materials, or install a aquarium heater with thermoregulation system. The fermentation lasts from 3 to 10 days (usually 4-7). Every 12-16 hours recommend shake Braga within 45-60 seconds, without removing the water seal. Due to the agitation evaporate excess carbon dioxide, which interfere with the normal functioning of yeast.
Signs of readiness for sugar mash distillation:
- bitter taste (all the sugar processed by the yeast into alcohol);
- stop the release of carbon dioxide (water lock not bubbling);
- the upper layers of the mash to lighten, and at the bottom appeared a precipitate;
- stopped hissing;
- felt smell of alcohol;
- approached to the Braga match continues to burn.
Use the characteristics comprehensively, we need to simultaneously, there was at least 2-3, otherwise easy to make mistakes. For example, excess sugar causes the yeast to die before I have time for everything to process. Most yeast “fall asleep” when the concentration of alcohol above 12%, so even willing Braga will remain sweet.
7. Degassing and clarification. Manufacturer proper moonshine is impossible without this step. It’s time to take sugar home brew with the yeast sediment, pour into a large pan through a tube, then heated to 50°C. the High temperature kills the remnants of yeast and promotes the release of liquid carbon dioxide.
Degassed Braga to pour back into the bottle and lightened with bentonite (preferably) – a natural white clay that is sold in bags and in the composition of kitty litter. Proven brand (at the time of publication): “Pi-Pi-Bent”, “WC Closet Cat”, “cat”.
Attention! When choosing white clay, make sure that the structure wasn’t flavors that will permanently ruin your home brew. Also clarification before the fermentation has completely ended, otherwise the method won’t work.
To lighten 20 liters of Braga need 2-3 tablespoons of bentonite to grind in a coffee grinder and dissolve in 250 ml of warm water. Then stir and wait until the clay turns into a thick mass, resembling fat sour cream. It takes 10-15 minutes.
Bentonite to add to Braga, close the container and within a few minutes intensively stirred. Braga then left alone for 15 to 30 hours, after which you can proceed to distillation.
Sediment not empty into drains, they can appear in cement tube, which are then difficult to eliminate.
The use of bentonite removes third-party impurities are not precipitated during fermentation. As a result, Mead lost the unpleasant smell of yeast, moonshine and kicked the brush a lot easier because the clay removes most harmful substances.
How to make moonshine
8. The first distillation. Clarified with bentonite Braga drained from the precipitate in the alembic. the purpose of the first distillation to separate the alcohol from other substances. Many beginners and lazy bootleggers stop, never tasted the taste of home brew, made all the rules.
Distillation is performed at a slow fire. Suggests to divide the output into two fractions: the “head”, “body” and “tails.” The first 50 ml per 1 kg of sugar to collect in a separate container. According to our proportions it is 300 ml of “Pervak” – the head of the faction, which can only be used for technical purposes due to impurities this distillate is dangerous for health.
Then select “body” – the average useful fraction, called alcohol-raw. The selection to stop when the strength of the distillate (in the jet) drops below 40 degrees. To better define the fortress of the alcoholometer (required at 20°C), but you can also use traditional method – while burning distillate in a spoon, to continue the selection.
The last in a separate container to collect the “tails” – a third fraction that contains a lot of fusel oils. This distillate can be poured into the following Braga (after removal from the sludge) to increase the strength or not to collect off of moonshine after collecting the “body”.
9. Cleaning. Before the second distillation of the middle fraction (raw alcohol) need additional cleaning from harmful impurities. Single accepted method exists, you can use any.
Natural and organic is considered to be clean of sugar moonshine coal, but with the right approach, for example, potassium permanganate with baking soda, also give good results. Important before cleaning, dilute the distillate with water to 15-20 degrees so that the molecular bonds are weaker.
10. The second distillation. Diluted (required for fire safety) raw alcohol poured into the alembic to start the distillation at low heat. Like the first time, especially if you boil the brew for themselves, to cut off the “head” – the first 50 ml per kilogram of added sugar.
Immediately after the selection of the first (pilot) fractions preferably replace the suchoparek, if the module has design moonshine. Further, while the fortress in the jet drops below 40 degrees, to take away the main product.
11. Dilution and sedimentation. At the last stage home-brew diluted with water to desired strength (usually 40-45%). To the taste of the drink became more soft and balanced, pour the finished product into bottles, close the caps and let stand for 3-4 days in a cool dark place. This is enough time for completion of chemical reactions that occur when mixing liquids.
Stanislav shared the secrets of diluting alcohol with water specially for Alcotan.