Almost every house 20 years ago was making moonshine. You need it for drinks in the household, for medical purposes. The culture of making alcohol at home has not gone anywhere. Joined by more of those who are tired of the harmful, it is unclear what is it made of alcohol and alcoholic beverages.
The technology of cooking mash for moonshine
Braga is prepared from three components: yeast, sugar, water. Sugar and yeast are the easiest to buy ready-made.
Wild yeast is on the surface of berries (raspberry, rose hips, strawberries, currants, grapes, raisins and raw), fruit (apples), cereals (wheat, corn, barley).
Important! Fruits and grains are not heated above 30 degrees C, to the Deposit of microorganisms left on them.
Grains can first rasprashivat is to prepare the leaven, which then pour in principal amount of syrup. For the dough mix the sugar, grain and water, put on a few days without water seal. Actively when it begins to foam, leaven is ready. Sometimes once you mix the grain with all the syrup and put to ferment.
Common Braga on starchy grains and legumes, vegetables. These include wheat, corn, rice, barley, oats, potatoes, peas. Instead of sugar use malt – germinated grain. It has natural enzymes that break down starch to sugar and turn it into alcohol. Dry enzymes (amylosubtilin and glucosamin) are inexpensive, provide a large yield of the final product, but partially impair the organoleptic (taste and smell).
Glucose and fructose in the fruit contribute to the fermentation, but they usually add and store sugar.
Wild yeast and fruit sugar is a product with a pleasant herbal odor and taste. But the alcohol yield less than from Braga to purchase the sucrose and yeast.
What is the process of digestion
Dissolved in water, the yeast eat the sugar, converting it into alcohol and carbon dioxide. Once alcohol is in water too much – the yeast eat the sugar, excrete alcohol. Of the microorganisms, their food (sugar) and space for the activity (water) should be the correct amount.
Wild yeast produce alcohol until its concentration reaches 11%. The ratio of sugar and water is 1:5.
Yeast for bread, active, with 12 % alcohol. They are designed for carbon dioxide. Of water take of 5 litres per kilogram.
There are alcohol yeast that are active, even if Braga’s 18% alcohol. For them water is required less for 1 kg of sugar — 4 l
From 1 kg of sugar leaves 600 ml of alcohol. 10% of the figures – toxic waste.
All components are poured into a container, leaving the fourth part free for future foam. Home brew grain for the first couple of days kept open, and then put the water trap.
Excess carbon dioxide also prevents the fermentation. It a couple of days of release of the liquid, shaking it.
Important! Fermentation occurs at a temperature of 25-30 degrees. If above or below – the yeast die.
For the preparation of Braga is better to use alcohol yeast
Estimated time of fermentation of different types of Mead
The minimum fermentation time is 1 day turbo yeast, maximum – more than a month. It affects primarily the choice of yeast (wild or store-bought). Important and the choice of sugar: fruit sugar composition of fruits, purchase of sugar or starch products that it needs to work enzymes. There are principal of Braga and the duration of the fermentation:
- Braga on sugar. Wanders 5 days – 2 weeks.
- Braga on the starch foods (grains, potatoes, peas, corn) preparing 3 – 5 days.
- Mash fruit with purchased yeasts are 2-3 weeks.
- Wild yeast brewing home brew 2 weeks – a month and a half.
Ready Braga retains its quality throughout the month in the basement (except grain, which kisnet).
The factors affecting the fermentation process of the mash
Fermentation is determined by different factors. Even professionals do not exactly foresee the particular fermentation of the wort and the final result. Some believe that is affected by the mixing time of the components, the phase of the moon, in which there is a whole process and the situation in the house. For example, it must be morning, and only a month young.
There are basic factors:
- Braga, primarily depends on the quality of the source components purchased or wild yeast, water composition, species and varieties of plants, sugar.
- Accuracy is important, the execution of the recipe (including proportions).
- The temperature and humidity.
Choosing the right yeast
All yeast there are pros and cons for each type of Braga picked up their yeast:
- Baking (dry, extruded). Dry useful in reserve – they are better stored. The pressed fermentation takes place more actively. Pros: easy to buy, cheap, are used anywhere in Braga. Cons: not all pleasant smell, a lot of harmful components, output low alcohol and high carbon dioxide.
- Alcohol yeast. Give a high yield of product; less harmful than the first type; do not smell anything. It is worth considering the disadvantages: they have a higher price, acquire on the Internet and specialty stores.
- Wine. Used for grain and fruit bases. They don’t smell, emit less harmful substances. Also they will have to look, they have low output and high price.
- Turbo-yeast. To save time, they have a neutral smell, high alcohol yield, resistance to temperatures. The lack of one – they are expensive.
Capacity and location
Capacity choose wood, glass or plastic. If it’s metal, aluminium or stainless steel. Features:
- From poor quality plastic can reach toxic substances.
- Aluminum oxidizes and can also spoil the taste and smell of alcohol, harmful to health.
- Glass is safe, but transmits light, warm and easy to beat.
- These shortcomings are absent in stainless steel. But it is expensive.
- The tree is the same the only downside is the cost. From additional pluses: it adds its flavors to the product.
Volume choose different from the 3-liter cans, up to 500 litre tanks.
Location choose, at its discretion, the main thing – to maintain the desired degree in the room.
The optimum temperature
The optimum temperature for the mash does not fall below 20 and rises to over 30 degrees C. within these limits the process is going well. The average number of (22-25 degrees) close to the concept of “optimal”.
The recipes varied. Each of them brings something of their own. Here are just a few:
- Braga on sugar
To prepare mash sugar mix water, yeast and sugar.
Take the water any, but delicious for a delicious product. Chlorinated weathered day in an open pan.
100 g of compressed yeast (dry 10-12) requires 1 kg of sugar. The hydraulic module is 1:5.
To improve the taste of alcohol instead of dry sugar, also use invert syrup. Sugar boiled in water and acid. Heat sugar in water splits it into glucose and fructose.
Important! The yeast is doing the same thing, but produce the enzymes that unpleasant smell. The enzymes will spoil the smell and taste of the finished alcohol.
- The proportion of primary products: sugar and water – 2:1. Citric acid – 5 g per 1 kg of sugar.
- In hot water (but not boiling) to dissolve the sugar.
- After boiling, pour the acid.
- Leave to stew for 20 minutes.
- The syrup is ready.
The mixture of sugar (syrup), water, yeast, pour in a bowl for fermentation. First, the yeast diluted in a small amount of sweet warm water and give 15 minutes to walk. The resulting foam is poured into a bowl for fermentation, filled with water (30 degrees). Each kg of sugar will secrete 600 ml of ethanol and gas. Leave room for future alcohol and foam — fourth part of the dish. The dishes cover with water seal and leave in a warm room (25-30 degrees C). Capacity better to wrap up tight old cloth clothes. The temperature in this place must not fall below designated, because the yeast will stop working. On average, the fermentation lasts a week. The Braga is ready, if the gas is no longer highlighted. The temperature did not fall, for effective heating of the aquarium. Carbon dioxide in the liquid slows down the fermentation, so its several times a day shaken 1 minute.
- Wheat Braga
1 kg sugar, 1 kg wheat, 4 liters of water. The wheat is washed with water at a temperature not above 35 degrees, so as not to kill yeast on the grains. Poured into the fermentation container. The sugar is completely dissolved in water until the disappearance of grains. Pour syrup over the corn. Close the seal water and put to heat. After 2-3 days the fermentation begins. Then wait for another 2 weeks. Be sure to merge Braga time: when she was almost finished wandering around and almost does not emit carbon dioxide. Assuming complete digestion, the product can smell like acetone.
- Braga on sprouted wheat
For 10 l containers – 1 kg of wheat. Washed in several waters wheat pour cold water so that over the granules was 4-5, see If you make large portions, then the wheat can rot. A few grains of potassium permanganate will prevent rotting. Leave the wheat to absorb the water. It takes about a day. Excess water is drained and washed beans. Grain surface cover dense wet cloth to prevent the escape of moisture. Wait until the wheat will germinate, regularly, 1 time a day washing. After 2 days the sprouts are already clearly visible. They pour water to 5 cm above the surface of the grain. For every kg of wheat pour 500 g of sugar. Sugar and water don’t mix, it needs to be on top, to cover the grain. Wait 7-10 days.
Merged Braga poured into a bowl for fermentation, top up with water of 35 degrees, covered sugar (1 kg 3-3.5 l of water). Left to ferment for 7-10 days in a pot with water seal. Finished Braga distilled, is poured into the same sprouted wheat, add again the same quantity of sugar and put to re-ferment for the same period, and for the first time. So you can repeat 4-5 times until the quality that is acceptable for a particular person.
- Grape Braga
1 kg grape pomace (including branches) take 500 g of sugar and 3 liters of water. The resulting stirred daily during fermentation the cap. Fermentation lasts 2-4 weeks. To determine the time of completion of the fermentation, followed by the release of gas. A fully fermented product it no longer produces.
The reasons for which Braga is not haunting
The reasons reflect inadequacies in the implementation of the user:
- The temperature of the wort and air in the room is below 20 and above 30 degrees.
- The accumulation of gases, which does not erode stirring.
- The discrepancy of proportions, including hydronic.
- Boiled or chlorinated water.
Sometimes to ferment the mash stops, while still sweet (not ready). Reasons:
- Little water (just topped up).
- Low temperature.
- The high acidity. Add a teaspoon of baking soda or chalk 10-15 liters of Braga.
Ways to speed up the fermentation process
- to use fresh yeast;
- add a few bread crusts;
- pour a teaspoon of diluted tomato paste for each quart.
- pour 3-4 tbsp of peas or corn for 1 l of wort.
- a handful of raisins;
- every day several times to stir the wort, giving out gas.
How to determine the readiness of the mash to the distillation
Readiness of raw materials is manifested in:
- distinct smell of alcohol;
- bitter taste and complete lack of sweetness;
- the absence of carbon dioxide over Braga: check a fire, or wear gloves. Lifted up the glove means Braga have to stand still.
Find your recipes and proportions is not easy, but exciting and delicious. Is a lot of theory and patience.