From unleavened brew is one significant advantage – no peculiar smell, which give the baking dry or compressed yeast. The technology of obtaining of the drink is not much more complicated. We will consider how to make kvass without yeast bread at home, having examined in detail all the nuances. Subsequently, the prepared starter can be used several times in the new batches, which further simplifies the cooking process.
In the classic recipe calls for rye or rye-wheat bread. Lovers of the brew with a slight caraway flavor and finish can take a Borodino, but to fry it just needs a little or at all without roasting.
The success of making 80% depends on the quality of bread, the more the composition of chemical substances, the higher the risk that the brew won’t ferment, or make tasteless. The bread must be fragrant, and after 1-2 days to get stale. The remaining 20% is choice of water, suitable only well purified, spring or bottled water.
The fermentation capacity and the bottle should be well washed (preferably treated with boiling water) to kill pathogenic microorganisms. I do not advise to put the kvass without yeast in containers which previously stored dairy products.
- black bread (rye) – 300 grams (approximately half a standard loaf);
- water – 2 liters;
- sugar – 100-150 grams;
- unwashed raisins – 25 grams.
Sugar is needed not only for sweetness, but for the carbonation – saturation of home brew with carbon dioxide. Raisins used as a source of natural wild yeast, so the berries are not washed to the surface have the desired microorganisms.
Recipe for homemade kvass without yeast
1. Bread with crust, cut into cubes 3-4 cm.
2. The cubes lay in a single layer on a dry (without oil) baking sheet. Put the bread in a preheated 160-180°C oven for 2-4 minutes, until the characteristic aroma and yellowish crust on the flesh. Do not overcook, otherwise the brew will be very bitter.
3. The finished crackers to be put into a pot, cover with boiling water. Add 50-75 grams of sugar, mix well.
4. To cool off wort to room temperature, add the raisins. Pour into a jar or other container for fermentation. Neck cover with gauze or cloth to protect from flies and other insects. Lid not to close!
5. To move the brew in a dark place with room temperature. In 8 to 24 hours will show signs of fermentation: a slightly sour smell, Fizz and foam on the surface.
6. After 2-3 days since the beginning of the fermentation, filtered through 3-4 layers of cheesecloth. Gently squeeze the pulp or just to drain.
The remaining pomace is a ready starter for kvass without yeast for the next batch. Just add a handful of meal in the new wort (the proportions do not change) or pomace pour the cold sugar syrup with a slice of fresh bread for flavor. The procedure can be repeated up to 4 times. Most delicious brew is considered to be the second and third games. Keep unleavened yeast in the refrigerator, but not longer than 24 hours.
7. To try the drink. If desired, add sugar to taste, mix well. Kvass needs to be at least a little sweet, otherwise make it fizzy not work.
8. Pour the brew in the storage tank: plastic or glass bottles, cans. Leave 3-5 cm of free space. Seal. To put in 4-8 hours in a dark place with room temperature.
It is better to use plastic containers, the carbon dioxide pressure in which is easy to control. If the bottle had become solid, you can move on to the next stage.
Attention! At least once per hour to check the pressure in the bottles, if necessary, lightly bleed the gas opening tube.
9. Carbonated (saturated with carbon dioxide) kvass transfer to the refrigerator or cellar with a temperature of 3-10°C. In a cold environment stops the fermentation, and the taste stabiliziruemost.
10. After 4 hours the drink is ready. Store yeast-free brew in the fridge or cellar for up to 5 days.