In the heat of real kvass quenches thirst, relieves fatigue and quickly restore power. This delicious natural beverage is easy to prepare at home, following the proven centuries technology. I offer two recipes of kvass of bread: one with yeast, one without.
- to prepare a brew from any of the breads, but the best drinks are obtained from black rye loaves without additives cumin, fennel, etc.;
- use only glass, plastic or enamel containers;
- rusks kvass cook without oil and spices;
- during fermentation in a tightly closed containers do not forget to monitor the level of carbon dioxide to high pressure did not blow the bottle.
Kvass from bread yeast
Simple classic version.
- rye bread – 0,5 kg;
- water – 5 liters;
- sugar – 250 grams;
- pressed yeast – 20 grams (or 5 grams dry).
Fans of sweet drinks may 2-3 fold increase in the amount of sugar added in the eighth stage.
1. Bread cut into small pieces and roast in the oven until Golden brown. The more dried bread, the more the brew felt the bitterness and darker colour, but dry is not worth it.
2. To boil water, then cool to room temperature and pour into fermenting container.
3. Add the breadcrumbs, the neck of the container to cover it with gauze and put for 48 hours in a dark place with room temperature. If you want to make a brew quickly, you can boil the mixture for 20-30 minutes, and then cooled to 25-30°C.
4. Dissolve the yeast according to instructions on the pack.
5. Filter kvass wort through cheesecloth, pressing the breadcrumbs well.
6. Pour the filtered wort in the fermenting tank, add 200 grams of sugar and yeast, mix well.
7. Loosely cover the container lid to carbon dioxide freely went outside, then put in 14-16 hours in a dark place with a temperature of 18-25°C.
8. Pour the brew in the storage tank, for example, plastic bottles or cans, add the remaining 50 grams of sugar, mix well. If you use a few bottles to evenly distribute the sugar, it is necessary for the appearance of carbon dioxide.
9. Tightly close containers and put in 4-5 hours in a dark place with room temperature.
10. Cool homemade kvass to a temperature of 8-11°C, moving the bottle in the refrigerator or cellar. It is necessary to stop the fermentation process. After 3-4 hours you can start tasting. Shelf life – up to 3 days.
Kvas dry yeast
Bread kvass without yeast
Natural drink without the smell and taste of yeast. As a starter use the raisins.
- black bread – 0,5 kg;
- sugar – 300 grams;
- water – 5 liters;
- unwashed raisins – 50 grams.
1. Cut the bread slices and dry in the oven, the main thing that the breadcrumbs don’t burn, otherwise the brew will turn out bitter.
2. To boil the water, add the breadcrumbs and 250 grams of sugar, mix well.
3. The resulting wort is cooled to 22-25°C, then pour into fermenting capacity, filling a maximum of 90% of the volume.
4. Add the raisins, then stir again, cover the bottle with gauze and transfer the jar in a dark place with a temperature of 18-25°C.
5. If the raisins of high quality, 1-2 days to start fermentation, dried in the Bank will move, then on the surface will foam, hiss, and a slightly sour smell.
6. Two days after the start of fermentation to filter homemade kvass through cheesecloth, add 50 grams of sugar, stir, pour into bottles for storage, add to each 2-3 pieces of raisin and tightly close lids.
7. To withstand drink 8-12 hours in a dark warm place for a set of gas, then transfer to the refrigerator or the basement. After cooling, bread kvass to 8-11°C you can move on to tasting. Shelf life up to 4 days.
Brew on raisins instead of yeast