On the Internet you can find recipes for Roma based on the addition of essences and other flavors that only mimic the original flavor and taste, and not always successfully. To make rum at home, you want cane sugar or molasses. In our time to get at least one of these ingredients is easy, just make an order online. We use an old Cuban recipe, which is popular among the locals of the island.
Cane molasses is molasses waste of sugar production, used in traditional technology of production of rum. Also molasses is used to feed domestic animals, in particular horses.
Cane molasses has a caramel flavor and thick consistency
Despite the fact that sugar cane grows only in South America, buy cane molasses in Russia. This product is sold in some specialized online stores dealing with goods for the distillers. Also molasses sometimes appears in large supermarkets.
On the way out. Depending on the characteristics of the production of sugar in the molasses is 30-73% (in most cases 50%). This indicator should be to ask the sellers, since it is possible approximately to calculate the theoretical yield of distillate. With 1 kg of cane sugar is obtained up to 1.2 liters of rum a fortress of 40 degrees. Accordingly, 1 kg of molasses (50%) goes to a maximum of 600 ml forty-degree drink. In practice, the number of the Roma will be always lower than the theoretical values at 8-15% for sugar and 15-25% for molasses.
To make rum from sugar cane is much easier. In fact, technology is no different from making the usual brew. You can also mix sugar and molasses, which will increase output and preserve organoleptic properties. It is important to add the right amount of water, total sugar content of the wort must not exceed 20%.
1. To calculate the parameters of Braga. For each pound of molasses is required 5 liters of water (water duty 1:5) and 10 grams dry or 50 grams of compressed yeast. For cane sugar the optimal hydronic – 1:4 (4 liters of water per 1 kg) and 20 grams dry (100 gram pressed) baking yeast.
The proportions are taken from the Cuban recipe in which the amount of yeast for the syrup 2 times less than for sugar. It is believed that a long fermentation of molasses a positive effect on odor and taste of rum.
2. Boil half of the water. Dissolve in boiling water sugar or molasses (stir until smooth). Cover, leave for 30 minutes, then pour into fermenting container.
3. Dissolve the yeast according to the instructions on the package. As the nutrient medium can be used made in the previous step, rum mash is definitely cooled to 25-28°C.
4. Pour into the wort the other half of water (cold and unboiled). Mix well. To check the temperature (must be below 30°C). To make the yeast. Stir again. It is desirable that at least 10-15% of the volume remains free for foam and carbon dioxide.
5. To be installed on the neck of the tank water trap. You can use the glove with the hole in the pin (to pierce with a needle). To transfer the Mead into a dark room (or cover) with a temperature of 18-28°C.
Braga pure cane sugar ferments 5-10 days, then the sweetness disappears, stop the release of gas from the water seal (glove deflates), it means that you can move on to the next stage.
Often Braga from molasses remains sweet after the fermentation, because yeast is unable to process the caramelized sugar. The only sign of readiness – lack of gas from the water seal. I advise you to start the distillation, not earlier than 12-15 days from the laying of ingredients.
6. Played Braga drained from the sediment (to solid particles not burnt during distillation). Overtake for the first time on a regular moonshine without separation into fractions. To finish the selection of distillate in the fall of the fortress in the jet below 20%. Bard (the remainder in the cube) do not empty!
7. To measure the fortress harvested cane moonshine. To determine the quantity of pure alcohol (the total volume multiplied by the percentage of the fortress and divided by 100).
8. To calculate the amount of water needed to dilute the brew to 20 degrees. Pour 75% of a certain number.
A quarter of the water (25%) to replace liquid bard of Cuba (Cuban recipe rum bard is called “thunder”). This technique will greatly improve the flavor of the finished beverage and give light notes of sweetness.
9. Diluted with water and bard moonshine to overtake a second time. The first 12-15% yield from the amount of pure alcohol to collect in a separate container. This “head” is harmful to the health of the faction, to drink which is not.
10. To select the main product, while the fortress in the stream will not fall below 45%.
11. The resulting distillate is ready to drink white homemade rum. This preparation can be completed. It remains only to dilute the drink with water to 40-45%, pour into a glass container, close tightly and leave for 3-4 days to stabilize the taste after chemical reactions.
White rum, without aging
If you want to make gold or dark rum, you will have to add caramel or withstand the distillate in barrels (oak chips).
12. The easiest way to “paint” a homemade rum sugar homemade caramel, the recipe of which was discussed earlier. To prepare the caramel, it is desirable to use cane sugar.
Recommended strength of the drink before making dye – 40 degrees. Not to spoil the whole party, experiment with color in a small number of Roma, starting with 3-5 ml of colorant per 1 liter. Before the increase in dosage is advised to wait 15-20 minutes.
After adding Koller
13. If you need oak notes, should be kept for rum 6-18 months in barrel (pre-diluted to 50%) or insist distillate fortress 40-45% for oak pegs (chips, chips).
Technology infusion of the chips is described by reference, there is also a method of roasting the wood in the home (second recipe). If you wish, ready to insistence chips you can buy in specialized stores.
Extract important to periodically check the flavor of rum. For barrels at least once a month, on the chips – at least once in 5 days. With the appearance of a clear tannic notes immediately pour the drink in the bottle, that there was no distinctive taste of “skirting”. The dwell time of the chips depends on the individual characteristics of the tree, soaking and roasting degree. This ranges from several weeks to six months.
After insisting on oak chips
In sealed glass containers the shelf life of home-made Rums unlimited. The fortress is 38-43%.