An exact recipe is not a guarantee that the home wine is normally to ferment. There are times when this process begins or after a few days suddenly stopped. Do not panic, in most cases the situation is remedied. I’ll tell you why the wine is not fermented and what to do to salvage the wort. You have the following options:
1. Not enough time has passed. Do not expect that immediately after the installation of the water seal, the wine will start to gurgle. The yeast need some time to activate. Depending on the temperature used raw sugar and yeast to start fermentation may take from several hours to 3 days.
Solution: if all the conditions of cooking wine to wait 3-4 days and only then to draw conclusions.
2. No sealing. A problem often faced by novice winemakers. If the capacity of closed non-watertight, the bubbles in the water the gate will not (a glove will not inflate), as the carbon dioxide comes out in other ways. It turns out that wine plays, but it is not visible.
If you reduce the intensity of the fermentation, when the carbon dioxide pressure falls, the situation is a dangerous ingress of air into the container, which leads to the souring of wine vinegar, which is impossible to fix. A bottle of wine to open, but only 1-2 times a day for a short time (15 minutes), for example, to make a new portion of sugar or foam removal.
Solution: check the tightness of the fermentation tank at the point of connection with the water seal (glove). For greater reliability to cover the joints of the test or another natural adhesive substance.
3. Improper temperature. The most common reason due to which the wine ceases to ferment. Wine yeast is active at 10-30°C. In the cold, they “fall asleep”, and at a higher temperature die. Recommended fermentation temperature is 15-25°C. it is Very important to avoid even small changes. If the wine is beginning to ferment at 20°C, you need to maintain this value. It is unacceptable when the temperature is constantly changing, such as day and night.
Solution: to check the temperature of the room. When the disparity between the recommended parameters to transfer the capacity to a more appropriate place. If even for a short time the wort was at temperature above 30°C, you should add a wine yeast or a new batch of special yeasts (non-alcoholic!!!).
4. Low or high sugar content. Optimal sugar content of the wort is 10-20%, in all other cases, the wine ferments bad. Low sugar content in yeast not the product for processing, so they stop. In a very high concentration of sugar becomes the preservative that stops the work of the yeast.
Check the sugar content of a special measuring device – a hydrometer or taste. The wort should be sweet, but not acidic or cloying.
Another similar problem – too thick consistency, which appears when working with fruit and berry raw materials (Rowan, bird cherry, currant, etc.), which is resistant to mechanical filtration. Dense wine may not ferment.
Action: check the sugar content and consistency. If the wort cloying or too thick – dilute it with water (sour juice), adding no more than 15% of the original volume. Low sugar content add sugar from the rate of 50-100 grams per liter of juice.
5. Bad yeast. Wild strains of yeast used by the vast majority of wine-lovers, characterized by their instability and can stop working at any time even for no apparent reason.
Action: to renew the fermentation, add the wort to choose from: homemade sourdough, store-bought wine yeast, unwashed crushed grapes (5-6 berries per 10 liters) or high-quality raisins (20-30 grams per 5 litres). Raisins and grapes suggest to buy in the market, there is less treated with chemicals that kill all the yeast on the surface. The best option is to make the leaven.
6. Mold. Appears in case of using rotten (moldy) of wine materials or the fermentation of poorly washed containers, hands and other fixtures. Therefore it is very important to sterilize everything in order not to infect fungi is a must. In the initial stages of mold in wine you can try to cure by removing the foil and drain the wine into another container through a tube. But the guarantee that it will help, no.
Mold is very difficult to eliminate
Solution: pour the wort is flawed, the mistakes, and not repeat them in the future.
7. The end of the fermentation. When the alcohol content of 10-14% wine yeast die. Method of natural fermentation it is impossible to obtain a more robust wine, to increase the degree to drink alcohol is added.
In most cases, home wine ferments 14-35 days, then this process gradually ceases. On the bottom of the tank appears the sediment, the wine is clarified, and the hydraulic lock will not allow the bubbles (the glove deflates).
The wine is successfully fermented
Steps: go to the next step – to filter the wine and put it on puberty. The ultimate goal is achieved.