In elite restaurants very often the wine before serving poured from a bottle in a special decanter. Still among restaurateurs and critics debate whether it is necessary to decant the wine, as this procedure is not considered mandatory. Many believe that decanting wine is just beautiful ritual. Whether this is so, try to understand next.
What is decanting wine?
Oxford Handbook defines wine decanting, as an optional procedure when serving wine. What is decanting wine?
Decanting is pouring wine before serving, in a special glass carafe, decanter. This is done not only for aesthetic pleasure, but also solve certain problems:
- The precipitate that is formed on the bottom of the bottle, not getting into the wine with proper decanting;
- In the process of decanting is aerating wine, that is, the drink has time to “breathe”, oxygenate;
- Gives great solemnity, and the tasters – a sense of belonging to the aristocratic action.
To decant the drink – is to saturate it with oxygen, get rid of sediment, which means to apply aged wine all the rules of etiquette.
Why was decanted wine?
The method of decanting is that the wine is slowly poured from the bottle into a glass vessel. This is done in order to get rid of the sediment that forms over time at the bottom of the bottle. Red and white wine accumulating with the years, quite a large layer of sediment, so pouring out the bottle into another container will help to get rid of it and make the drink more clean. In addition, aesthetically beautiful to serve wine in an elegant glass vessel.
Note! Tasters are unable to agree whether there is a need to decant the wine. In any case, the taste of the beverage by transfusion is not impaired, on the contrary, the wine is saturated with oxygen and reveals all the aromatic bouquet.
Decanter – what it is and the history of
What is a decanter for wine? This is a special vessel in which the wine is poured from the bottle before use.
The custom to pour the wine in a beautiful vessel appeared very old. Alcoholic drinks kept in barrels, since the glass vessels was an element of luxury and was very expensive. Only famous and rich people could afford to pour the wine from the barrel and serve it in beautiful glass vessels. This ritual has survived, and in elite institutions, be sure the wine is served in decanters.
Even before our era there was a so-called decanters. They were made of ceramic and was called the “amphora”. Glass vessels began to use in Ancient Rome. After the attack on Ancient Rome barbarians the production of glass utensils has virtually stopped. At that time began to produce kitchen utensils of bronze and metal, rarely from China.
Venice became the first city, where they began on an industrial scale to produce glassware. It was Venetian craftsmen were the first to make vessels with wide bottom and long neck through which the wine is purified from the sediment. Now the decanters are of such form and are used in respectable restaurants for serving wine to their guests.
How to choose a decanter?
There are two main types of decanters, which are chosen depending on what kind of wine will be served.
- A vessel for new wine. Young drink needs more oxygen, so before serving, it is poured into a special vessel and left for a few hours to “breathe”. It helps us to taste the young wine more intense and enjoyable. This decanter is made with a wide bottom and the neck, similar to a funnel. Sometimes the vessel is made in the form of a spiral, which helps to get rid of a defending a young drink.
- Vessel for Mature beverages. The purpose of decanting older wines to remove sediment and give only to touch the drink to oxygen. To defend Mature wine is not necessary, it is poured immediately before use. Typically the decanter for Mature drinks is a sphere.
Which wines to decant taken?
Not all wines need decanting. A lot depends on the type of drink, its exposure, grape variety, used for making wine. What kind of wine you need to decant:
- Mature red wines because of the large quantities of sediment;
- Young red wine with lots of tannin. Decanting will help soften the tart taste and will help to reveal the flavor of the drink.
If white wine is decanted? White wine is decanted less often than red, but that white immature wine needs decanting for aeration. Also professionals decanted white Burgundy vintage wine.
What kind of wine is not subject to decanting?
It is not recommended to pour the drinks average price. It is believed that cheap wine has a special taste and aroma, so of oxygen saturation is not necessary. Recently, however, even the relatively cheap wines did not pass the filtering process, it must be indicated on the label. For example, Chilean and Australian wines in the medium price segment sometimes decanted before serving.
Almost never decanted wines with a long exposure. It is believed that pouring from the bottle into a vessel can “break” the fine structure of the drink. Renowned sommelier suggest just to leave open a bottle of expensive wine that it “breathed”.
How to properly decant the wine at home?
If you want to surprise your guests an unusual supply of alcohol, you must learn the rules of decanting wine. Prepare everything you need:
- Directly a bottle of wine;
- A wine glass;
- Any decanter;
- Corkscrew for wine bottles;
Note! The last item is not mandatory, but a burning flame of a candle will help to see when the sediment approach the neck of the bottle. At this point, the process needs to stop.
For several days the bottle of wine should lie in a horizontal position to fully precipitate sank to the bottom of the tank. Many people use a special stand for the wine bottles.
So, how to carry out the process of decanting:
- The decanter should be thoroughly washed, rinsed with hot water and wipe dry.
- In restaurants, bartender or sommelier demonstrates to guest calls and a bottle of wine, an year of harvest of the grapes, the age of the drink manufacturer. You in front of guests at home to do the same, to be sure, it will make an impression.
- Immediately before the beginning of the process, you can dim the lights and light a candle. It will add mystery and romance to the ongoing action.
- The neck should be cleaned, and then a corkscrew to get the cork out of the bottle, but not entirely, and¾. Then the tube gets hands very carefully, to avoid cotton.
- The neck once again wiped with a clean cloth. Slowly pour wine from the bottle without any interruption. Decanter you will need to keep a little tilted so that the beverage flows down the walls, not poured directly into the bottom. As soon as you see sediment, immediately stop the decanting.
- To drink saturated with oxygen, turn it into a decanter several times clockwise.
- New wine must stand in the decanter for a few hours, aged wine can be consumed immediately after it is poured from the bottle.
The nuances and tips for winemakers
Decanting wine is not a mandatory process, but connoisseurs of good drinks I like to drink wine with all the rituals, so they often resort to pouring of alcohol from bottles in special vessels. What tricks and nuances can share the wine:
- You can use decanters not only classical forms. In commercially available decorative vessels, such as geometric shapes or in the form of a snake. The supply of wine, these decanters will make a fabulous impression.
- Choose a decanter in accordance with those drinks which you drink most often. If you want just a beautiful supply of inexpensive wine, choose low cost options decanters. For vintage premium beverages should purchase a special model.
- Remember that drinking wine is, first and foremost, enjoy the process. Wine drunk is not in order to feel drunk for this, there are such folk alcoholic beverages, like vodka or moonshine. Decanting will help to create a festive atmosphere even at home, in front of the guests.
- The wine in the decanter should not be too long. Ideally, it should drink in the day, when it was bottled. Max, you can leave the drink for a day.
- Mature wine is poured into the decanter very slowly, avoiding splashing. Young drink is permitted to pour a little faster.
Opponents of decanting argue that pouring wine only worsens the taste. To oxygenate the beverage in the glass or in the bottle, leaving it open for a while. Supporters of the transfusion of wine tend to believe that decanting is not only beautiful in the process of serving a good drink, but also improve its taste and aromatic qualities. To make your own conclusions, need to try desantirovanie wine. In any case, even meeting with friends in a home environment can be more pleasant and aristocratic, to use for serving wine stylish accessories.