Many winemakers prefer in the home to make it a fortified wine. In the usual house wine a small percentage of alcohol, that over time, the drink loses some of the aromatic and taste qualities. The increase in the degree extends the shelf life of homemade wine. Many oppose the fortification, considering that this product is losing its uniqueness. Try to understand in what cases it is necessary to increase the degree of alcohol, how to do it properly and will present several recipes for fixing the drink.
What is fortified wine?
Fortified wine — a drink, which at various stages is added to strong alcohol: vodka, alcohol, brandy and more. The name “fortified wine” originates from the Soviet Union. Then, the term referred to wine, added alcohol and those drinks that have degree increased directly during fermentation.
Reliable information when they began to spirtovoi wine, no. But there is a version that fortified learned how to drink from the moment when there was only the distillate. Since ancient times, alcohol was added to the Cahors wine, port, sherry. Home winemakers also quite a long time began to apply the technique of attachment of the drink. This is especially true for wines made from low-quality or not suitable raw materials. For example, raspberries, cherries, chokeberry, black and red currants are not enough tannins and tannins, which provide vitality drink.
Why to fix homemade wine?
How is fortified wine at home:
- In the early stages of fermentation is stopped by adding alcohol/vodka into the wort.
- For clarification of a wine using a variety of methods. If you do not want to use them, you can just increase the degree by adding strong alcohol. This contributes to the loss of the remaining yeast in the sediment.
- Alcohol acts as an antiseptic, and that means that fortified wines can be stored for much longer. Mount wine alcohol at home has several advantages: the wine is not subjected to various diseases, it cannot be a fungus, does not appear mold, and shelf-life, unlike the dry beverage, increases several times.
Increase the strength of wine in order to kill the existing yeast culture. To what degree should raise a fortress? It will all depend on what yeast was used during fermentation.
Than increase the degree of wine
How to make homemade fortified wine? Often make home-made wine, fortified with vodka or alcohol. However, experts advise to choose only the good stuff, because of poor quality product can worsen the taste of the drink. It is preferable to use strong alcohol, made from the same fruit/berries, and wine. For example, in the grape wine is added chacha, Apple – Calvados, etc. Economically, such a consolidation is absolutely not profitable. Some prefer to mount homemade wine moonshine, which was made from the same grapes. However, the taste of the wine can be with a characteristic odor of the distillate.
The means of fixing the fault
Fortified drinks are made simply, so to deal with that even a novice winemaker. Almost any homemade wine can be fortified to do. Splitout drink at all stages of cooking:
- When done pulp;
- Before the beginning of the fermentation or in the most active period;
- Spirtovanie – as the final stage, when raising the degree of ready-made drink. It is important to calculate the amount of added alcohol, not to spoil the taste of the final product.
Usually splitout wine as follows:
- Part of the wort is drained into a separate container.
- Add to it all number of spirits;
- After 2-3 hours, pour in the wort.
A simple recipe for the fortification of red wine
For increasing the fortress of house wine is added to vodka or moonshine
How to make homemade fortified wine from red grapes?
For fortified wines from grapes, you will need:
- 5 kg of grapes “Isabella”;
- 600 grams of sugar;
- Additionally, the sugar at the rate of 100 grams per liter of beverage;
- Liter of alcohol/vodka.
How to prepare fortified grape wine at home:
The grapes are left to Mature for 5-7 days under the sun after harvest. Then the grapes warm up with your hands or a wooden pestle. The pulp is placed in a glass jar, on top of the neck closes the folded in several layers of gauze. Capacity is left in a warm room for 2-3 days. Daily contents of the jar stirred with a wooden spoon.
Then the must add the sugar (about 600 grams). The Bank puts on rubber glove with a few punctured fingers or the water trap. Bank is retained for two weeks, then you should additionally add the sugar to increase the degree of the future wine. Approximately two weeks the drink continues to ferment. When the fermentation is complete, the liquid is filtered through cheesecloth, folded in several layers.
To correctly add the alcohol/vodka, the wine is poured into a separate container. There poured the strong alcohol. Alcohol from wine should stand for 2-3 hours, after which the liquid is poured into the jar. The drink is left there for 2 days, after which the fermentation process has to stop. Fortified wine from grapes at home is filtered, bottled and put on 14 days in a cool place. Then it is drained from the sediment and bottled.
If you follow the cooking technique, the result is a flavored fortified wine with a light taste. It goes well with hot and cold appetizers, first courses, salads. Fortified wine from grapes Isabella improves appetite, helps digestion and good taste.
Recipes wine, fortified with alcohol or vodka, in many respects, similar to each other. Once you make a strong drink on a simple recipe, you can start to experiment with other options.
Fortified grape vermouth
Versative drinks refers to fortified wines. They have unique herbal aroma and have the bitter taste of wormwood. Vermouth, depending on the wine that is red, white and pink. One of the most delicious vermouth is the drink that was prepared on the basis of wine.
At home you can make a vermouth from several types of berries. For example, vermouth will get an unusual taste if you use a combination of cranberries and Rowan berries. The main ingredient of vermouth is an aromatic herbal liqueur. Prepare it in advance to tincture absorbed the flavor and aroma of herbs. Recipes herbal infusions very much. We offer a popular option for which you need the following ingredients:
- Alcohol-based 250 ml of vodka or 100ml of alcohol;
- 3 grams of wormwood;
- 4 grams of yarrow;
- Cinnamon stick;
- 2 cardamom pods;
- 3 grams of peppermint;
- 1 gram of saffron;
- 2 grams of nutmeg.
How to prepare a tincture of herbs:
- In a glass bowl add all the herbs and spices, and pour vodka or alcohol. Shake the contents.
- Daily stir the tincture for seven days.
Note! Optionally, you can remove from the recipe an ingredient or substitute for another. Instead of sage you can use tarragon. Any ingredient model, in addition of sage/tarragon.
Before you pour the tincture in the finished homemade wine, you should try it on bitterness. Wormwood can give unnecessary bitterness, and in this case added not all the amount of liqueur to vermouth didn’t become too bitter.
How much tincture you want to add? The calculation is simple: for a liter of homemade wine you will need about 50 ml of alcohol tincture or 100-120 ml of tincture on vodka. Also at this stage in the wine adds sugar in an amount of 100 grams. If you want more sweet vermouth, you can increase the amount of sugar.
Everything is carefully mixed, bottled and left in a cool dark place to infuse. Approximately 3-4 weeks with the drink you can taste.
Vermouth served in a special Martini glass. Optional glasses you can add:
- Lemon juice or slices of fresh lemon;
- Vodka or gin in a small amount;
- Pieces of fruit, berries with ice cubes;
- Pineapple, orange, grapefruit juices.
Vermouth is traditionally served with olives, cheeses, salty nuts, fruit. The drink goes well with fish dishes and seafood.
How to do a home port?
Real port is made only from grapes that have been grown in a certain place in Portugal, in the North-East of the country. However, at home you can get a similar drink if you follow the recipe. Manufacture of fortified wine from grapes at home is not very complicated.
What you’ll need:
- Berries of red grapes – 5 kg;
- Sugar – 1.5 kg;
- Elder berries – 200 grams;
- Brandy – 750 ml;
- Water – 5 liters.
Recipe for homemade fortified wine from red grapes:
- Grape and elderberry to clean from branches, leaves, to sort out, but do not wash. Fold the berries into a large bowl and turn into mush with a wooden tolkushkoy. Add 600 grams of sugar, pour the water. Cover folded in 3 layers of gauze, put on 5 days in a dark warm room. Several times a day to mix the tank contents with a wooden spoon.
- Then pulp, strain through cheesecloth, folded in several layers, and squeeze. Juice pour into a large glass bottle. Part of the juice and leave it to dissolve the remaining sugar, pour the syrup into the bottle to the juice. All carefully vzbaltyvayut. The neck is a water seal bottle and leave in a warm place for further fermentation.
- After 21 days, the new wine is poured brandy. You can add a little sugar if the taste of the drink will not seem sweet. The wine was filtered and bottled.
Note! Taste of home port, it is desirable not earlier than in a year. The longer it is to steep, the richer it will taste.
Home cooking sherry
First drink began to be produced in one Spanish region. Is a fortified wine made only from certain white grapes.
Note! The British gave the drink its name. Sherry in the English interpretation is called sherry (sherry).
You can prepare a fortified drink made from white grapes. For its taste it is a bit like a real sherry. Home sherry obtained with an alcohol content of 15 to 22 degrees.
What are the ingredients you will need:
- White selected grapes – 5 kg;
- Sherry yeast – 100 grams;
- Chalk powder – 5 grams.
How to make fortified wine from white grapes:
- Harvested grapes are put in the sun for 7 days, then sprinkle the berries with the powder of the chalk.
- Put the grapes in a large container, mash with a wooden pestle. Press the juice through cheesecloth, folded in several layers.
- Pour the grape juice in oak barrels, leave it for 45-50 days.
- Add sherry yeast.
- Homemade fortified wine at home would be to wander a month and a half.
There is another recipe cooking sherry. You will need 10 kg of white grapes and a Cup of sugar. To make the sherry in this recipe is quite simple, but it should be done in the cold season. Preparing a wine according to the classic recipe. 10 liters of the drink is poured from the evening of jars that need to be put in the cold (the temperature should not be below -20 degrees Celsius). The next morning, the liquid component is poured into another container. The resulting ice disposed of. Similarly, it is worth repeating one more time.
The drink is poured into a glass bottle and is another 10 days. If the taste of sherry is sweet enough, add a little more sugar. The finished drink is filtered and bottled, which are further stored in a dark place.
Heres the rules is served in small glasses that are made in the form of tulips. Some prefer to serve sherry as an aperitif, someone drinking a beverage with tea and dessert. Sherry goes well with different types of cheeses, fish dishes, seafood. It can also be served with meat dishes and various appetizers.
Mount wine – is the ability to extend the shelf life of the drink and also make it a little stronger than usual version. It is not difficult, if you follow the basic rules and stick to the recipe. Preparation of wine from grapes and other berries, fortified in the home, is not very complicated. Homemade wine with a higher degree of alcohol will appeal to those who like more spirits. You can try new recipes, experiment with ingredients and to look for new flavors of the classic homemade wine.