Khvanchkara – wine, which is a hallmark of winemaking of Georgia. Made from the Georgian grape varieties grown only in one area – in the valley of the river Rioni. Wine became popular by accident and has a long and complicated history. Khvanchkara is made exclusively on the territory of Georgia, and certain technology that has no analogues in the world.
Khvanchkara — wine with history
Homeland Khvanchkara Georgia. Long history includes many interesting facts. Creators are considered to be princes Kipiani – Lebanon and Dmitry. First wine was made only for the brothers, until they decided that it deserves more attention. In 1907 the princes Kipiani take away the drink in Belgium, where it is appreciated by Europeans. The brothers did not expect such praise and was surprised when he received from the king of Belgium, the main award of the wine of the exhibition.
A little about the name
The famous Georgian wine was called “Khvanchkara” are much later inventions. At first it was named in honor of brothers Kipiani – “Kijanowski”. This name lasted 25 years. After the fall of the tsarist regime and the establishment of Soviet power, the leader of prolletariat Stalin could not afford to love and drink “noble” origin. For this reason, the name was changed in honor of the name of the area where the wine was produced.
Home of the famous Georgian wine Khvanchkara to this day uses it to create a product two grape varieties growing in the region of Racha, in the valley of the Rioni river: Aleksandrouli and mujuretuli. Their peculiarity is that any change to the locus of the berries, immediately changes the taste characteristics, which affects the taste of the product.
Manufacturing is different from other wines. For the process of fermentation of the grape, from which was removed the bones, the skin, the ridges. The fermentation process is interrupted in the subsequent sharp decrease in temperature. This production technology characteristic of the North-Western territories of Georgia. More a long time winemakers noticed that the effect of frost makes the drink more sweet. Rachalechkhumi production technology makes the taste of the original, not having analogues on the planet.
Now traditional wine is produced in four Georgian plants. The oldest manufacturer located in the village of Khvanchkara, the other three are nearby in the same region. Other companies have names: I Chrebalo, Ambrolauri and Bugeuli.
In 2012, the wine house Khvanchkara Georgia was officially recognized as a name which is now controlled by its origin. Since then, tightened production technology and its features, hampering the emergence of counterfeits.
Tasting characteristics of the beverage
Khvanchkara – semi-sweet red wine. The composition includes a bouquet of raspberry, BlackBerry, red currant, strawberry, Rowan. Especially felt the taste of dried fruit. Some connoisseurs of wine products in the rich velvety taste and recognize notes of black berries, especially black ash, pomegranate, roasted almonds and caramel.
The composition of the drink contains 11% alcohol. The amount of acidity is 5 grams per liter beverage, sugar – 35 grams per liter.
Khvanchkara wine for every taste
Before purchasing, it is recommended to choose a kind of wine, which has more than ten kinds. They have different prices and differences in aroma and aftertaste.
The most well-known brands:
- Chateau Mukhrani. Semi-sweet with a strawberry-raspberry finish. Has a bright red hue.
- Badagoni Khvanchkara (badagoni). The aroma felt notes of wild strawberry, black currant, Rowan. Has a ruby edging. The flavor is bitterness, which adds to the drink a nice finish.
- Khvanchkara mystery of Colchis. Dark ruby color. The aroma is clearly felt notes of strawberries and roasted almonds. Has the delicate flavor of dried fruit, pomegranate and almonds.
- Khvanchkara Iberia (iveria khvanchkara). Georgian wine has intense red color. Has a cherry flavor, the taste emerges bright notes of strawberries and currants.
- Royal Khvanchkara. Presented by red semi-sweet and dry types. Has a dark red tint, with a predominance of purple shimmer. The taste and aroma is dominated by nuances of walnuts, blackberries and vanilla.
- Mildiani. Soft and velvety taste includes notes of rowanberries, strawberries, cherries and nuts. Goes well with meat dishes, baked with spices.
- Askaneli Brothers. The wine is famous because he won the main prize of the contest of the best drinks in Ukraine. The color is purple highlights. The taste is replete with nuances of pomegranate, roasted nuts, blueberries and astringent finish. Serve with red meats, cold salads, cheeses.
- Megobari Khvanchkara. Dark garnet full-bodied, alcoholic beverage is rife with raspberry flavor. The sweet aroma contains BlackBerry with nuances of prunes. Goes well with sweet fruit pastries and meat.
- Teliani valley. Semi-sweet red wine. While drinking clearly felt caramel and strawberry flavor. The finish smacks of bitterness.
In addition to these brands, in stores widespread: Schild Khvanchkara, genatsvale, Kakhuri, Ambrolauri, khorumi, graneli.
Khvanchkara — wine for gourmets
How to properly drink wine? The beverage temperature should not be above 13 degrees. Pearl of winemaking Georgia is drunk from special glasses designed for red wine. Is it right to serve a drink to the desserts, fruit, nuts, dried fruit. Experts advise to serve with meat dishes. Especially if the dishes are traditional cuisine of Georgia.
But there are dishes that are not recommended to apply the alcohol. It is believed that dishes of fish only spoil the taste and impression of the drink, leaving an unpleasant aftertaste.
Two Georgian legends
Joseph Stalin, Georgian by nationality, few drank alcohol, but was very fond of Georgian dessert variety. It is believed that Khvanchkara was the favorite wine of Stalin. However, there is another well-known Georgian wine, served dessert – Kindzmarauli. It is also attributed to the favorite drinks of the leader.
Kindzmarauli started to produce especially for Stalin in 1942. The reason was that Khvanchkara was known before the revolution, and was designed by a Georgian Prince, which the Soviet leader could not afford it. In the end, the leader gave the wine a new name, which it still bears today.
Kindzmarauli is different from Khvanchkara fruity aroma and high price. Both legends of the Georgian wine industry, Khvanchkara and Kindzmarauli, and now have their fans and connoisseurs around the world.
How to distinguish a fake
Khvanchkara – wine is a rare product, because of the distinctive production technology and separate grapes. Therefore, in stores you can often find fake heritage of Georgian wine.
To determine the real wine from a fake can on the following criteria:
- The excise tax. Georgia – foreign state, and the alcohol at customs excise mark is noted. If the brand is missing, then questioned the authenticity of the alcohol.
- The color of the drink. Genuine wine should not be with the sediment and have no other impurities. Crystal clear ruby color, with no muddy extraneous color. Foreign growths in the drink will say that it is fake.
- The design of the bottle. You need to pay attention to the manufacturer. Only four wineries of Georgia to produce an authentic product. Industrial buildings located in the Khvanchkara, Ambrolauri, was Chrebalo and Bugeuli. Bottle genuine product not pretentious. On the label marked a real varieties of grapes from which is made an alcoholic product.
- Authentic wine is expensive, so the price also determines the validity of the product on the counter.
- The finish should not be given sour notes, otherwise the drink is definitely counterfeit.
The cost of a drink
The cost of the gems of the Georgian wine industry depends on brand. The most expensive of Mildiani, the price of a bottle which is 3500 rubles, and the Talisman of 2500-3000 rubles. Among the cheap products noted varieties of Khvanchkara: Racha, mironi, the king, the mystery of Colchis, the price of 1500 rubles.
Khvanchkara is rightly considered the jewel and treasure of the Georgian people. After Georgia – the founder of the wine world. True Georgian grape varieties, the original production technology of wine making, make the product is revered among connoisseurs of red alcoholic product. For a hundred years, the product loses popularity, even after renaming at the peak of popularity in the early twentieth century.
Read about other legends of winemaking..
…Russian: Lev Golitsyn
…Kuban: Chateau Taman
…French: Dom Perignon