Royal Stag Whisky Details
Royal is an Indian Whisky. It was launched in 1995 and is known as Seagram’s Royal Stag. Royal Stag is a blend of grain spirits and imported Scotch malts.
It was the first whisky in India not to use artificial flavorings.
Here is a quick info table on Royal Stag Whisky
|Currently owned by
|Acquired the brand in
|Country of Origin
|Category in Liquor
|Premium Whisky Brand
|Ingredients used in Royal Stag Whisky
|Scotch and Grains
|Variants of Royal Stag
|Royal Stag Barrel Select Whisky | Royal Stag Deluxe Whisky
What are the different variants of Royal Stag available?
Royal Stag offers several variants to cater to diverse preferences and budgets. Here’s a rundown of the most popular ones:
- Royal Stag Classic: This is the original and most widely available variant, known for its smooth, mellow taste and affordability. It’s a blend of Indian grain spirits and imported Scotch malts.
- Royal Stag Deluxe: A step up from the Classic, Deluxe boasts a richer and smoother taste with hints of honey and vanilla. It uses a higher proportion of imported Scotch malts for a more premium experience.
- Royal Stag Barrel Select: This variant is matured in oak barrels for a longer period, resulting in a deeper, more complex flavor profile with notes of oak, spice, and fruit.
- Royal Stag Legend: Launched in 2019, Legend is a limited-edition blend matured in ex-bourbon barrels for a smooth, yet bold taste with hints of caramel and toffee.
- Royal Stag Smokey & Peaty: Released in 2021, this unique variant offers a smoky and peaty taste, inspired by traditional Islay single malts. It’s a departure from the usual Royal Stag profile, catering to adventurous palates.
- Royal Stag Superior: A smooth and affordable option, often found in smaller bottle sizes.
- Royal Stag Premier: Available in some markets, Premier is a premium blend with a rich, complex flavor.
Why is Royal Stag famous?
Royal Stag whisky, founded in 1995 and produced by the renowned Pernod Ricard, is crafted from top-quality grains, malt spirits, and pure Indian water. Its distinct taste and character are enhanced by aging in oak barrels, adding complexity and depth. The age of the whisky significantly influences its price, with older variants being more expensive.
Royal Stag provides a range of aged options to suit various tastes and budgets.
What is the difference between Royal Stag and Barrel Select?
Both Royal Stag and Royal Stag Barrel Select are blended Scotch whiskies produced by Pernod Ricard. However, there are some key differences between the two:
- Royal Stag: Uses a higher proportion of grain whiskies in its blend, resulting in a lighter and smoother taste.
- Barrel Select: Uses a higher proportion of malt whiskies, giving it a fuller and more complex flavor profile.
- Royal Stag: Aged for a minimum of 3 years in ex-bourbon barrels.
- Barrel Select: Aged for a minimum of 5 years in ex-bourbon barrels. This additional aging gives the whisky more depth and character.
- Royal Stag: Described as having a smooth and creamy taste with notes of honey, vanilla, and spice.
- Barrel Select: Described as having a richer and more complex taste with notes of fruit, caramel, and oak.
- Royal Stag: Generally less expensive than Royal Stag Barrel Select.
- Barrel Select: Considered a premium version of Royal Stag and is sold at a higher price point.
- Royal Stag: Has a traditional rectangular bottle with a stag logo.
- Barrel Select: Has a more modern, tapered bottle with a gold stag logo.
Here’s a table summarizing the key differences:
|Higher proportion of grain whiskies
|Higher proportion of malt whiskies
|Minimum 3 years
|Minimum 5 years
|Smooth and creamy, honey, vanilla, spice
|Rich and complex, fruit, caramel, oak
Ultimately, the best choice between Royal Stag and Barrel Select comes down to personal preference. If you are looking for a smooth and easy-drinking whisky, then Royal Stag may be the better choice.
However, if you are looking for a richer and more complex flavor profile, then Barrel Select is the way to go.
Is Royal Stag good for cocktails?
Yes, Royal Stag can be a good choice for cocktails, depending on what you’re looking for!
Here are a few cocktails you can try with Royal Stag:
- Royal Stag Whisky Sour: A classic sour cocktail with a touch of Indian flair.
- Royal Stag Old Fashioned: A twist on the classic using ginger ale instead of soda water.
- Royal Stag Highball: A simple, refreshing highball with ginger ale or club soda.
What type of alcohol is Royal Stag?
Royal Stag is Scotch malts blended with grain spirits Whisky. Alcohol by volume is 42.8%. Taste wise it’s – Medium bodied, rounded Mouth feel: Smooth with a touch of smoke. Wiki(source).
Is Royal Stag a good whisky?
Yes, Royal Stag is a good whisky. Apart from being one of the most famous and best selling whisky, it is known for Exceptionally Smooth taste with Malted flavour.
Does Royal Stag expire?
High alcohol spirits do not “age” when sealed in glass. So, you can keep the bottle forever. This point has been confirmed by many alcohol enthusiasts at Quora.
Which is better RC or Royal Stag?
Though it is personal choice about which whisky is better, the most common choice is Royal Stag for its smooth taste.
Is Royal Stag bitter?
Overall, Royal Stag has a very smooth taste with a little bitter undertone (which is there in for it being a whisky).
Is Royal Stag a premium?
Yes, Royal Stag is a premium blended whisky.
Where is Royal Stag whisky made?
As per the current production data, the whisky is produced in Nepal from grain spirit and imported Scotch malt.
What is the slogan of Royal Stag?
It’s your life; make it large.
What can I mix with Royal Stag?
Here is a quick list of the best-recommended mixes you can use with Royal Stag:
On the rocks.
Coca Cola – Coke
Is Royal Stag packaged drinking water?
Yes, there is also packaged drinking water named Royal Stag. It’s available on Amazon.
What is Royal Stag Barrel Select?
Royal Stag Barrel Select, a premium whisky blend of imported scotch malts and Indian grain spirits, offers a refined taste for discerning drinkers. Matured in select oak barrels, it boasts a unique harmony of aroma, flavor, and color.
What is the price of a Barrel Select bottle?
Though prices differ at different places due to taxes etc., for example, The Royal Stag Barrel Select price 750ml in Bangalore ranges from INR 600 to INR 800.